Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Anaheim
Anaheim, California is a great place to pursue a career as an automotive technician or mechanic. Anaheim has many automotive repair shops, dealerships and service centers that require skilled workers to keep their vehicles in tip-top shape. Automotive technicians are responsible for performing maintenance and repairs on cars and trucks, ranging from oil changes and brake repairs to engine overhauls and transmission replacements.
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Anaheim
All individuals wanting to provide maintenance and mechanical services for automobiles in Anaheim are legally required by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to be signed up as an Automotive Repair Dealer (ARD). The license fee for this registration is $200 and it will need to be renewed on an annual basis.
Those interested in pursuing a career as an automotive technician or mechanic in Anaheim should begin by obtaining the necessary training and education, either through attending a technical school or completing an apprenticeship program.
An automotive technology program typically covers some of the following topics:
- Electrical systems
- Air conditioning
- Engine repair
- Brake systems
- Engine performance
- Auto maintenance
- Engines service and repair
- Manual drive train
- Emission controls
Auto Mechanic Schools in Anaheim
There are not many automotive technology schools in Anaheim, but there are nearby schools offering the training needed to become an automotive technician or mechanic. Some of these include:
In order to become a certified automotive technician, individuals must pass the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification exams. These tests are administered by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence and the certification will demonstrate that you have the necessary skills and knowledge required to perform repair work on cars and trucks.
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- School bus certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
- Light truck certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
- Engine machinist certification tests
Job Outlook and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in Anaheim is expected to increase by 4% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Anaheim earned an average annual wage of $49,930 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel specialists earned an annual wage of $62,140. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $38,030 and $47,180 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Anaheim
|Region||Total Employed||Mean Hourly Wage||Mean Annual Salary|
|Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA||17,540||$25,40||$49,930|
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Anaheim
Anaheim is home to many automotive repair shops, dealerships and service centers that hire highly-skilled technicians and mechanics. By obtaining the appropriate training, passing the necessary certifications exams, and gaining the experience needed to become a successful Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Anaheim, individuals can have a long and prosperous career in this field.
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Employment and Wages, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493023.htm
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm