Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Stockton
Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Stockton is a great way to make a living. The city of Stockton, California provides excellent career opportunities for those who are interested in working with cars and other vehicles.
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Stockton
The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has mandated that all Stockton residents offering automotive maintenance and/or mechanical services are required to register as an Automotive Repair Dealer (ARD). The license fee for this registration is $200 and it will need to be renewed on an annual basis.
An automotive technology program typically covers some of the following topics:
- Ignition systems
- Braking systems
- Electrical systems
- Air conditioning
- Air and fuel systems
Auto Mechanic Schools in Stockton
There are not many automotive technology schools in Stockton, but there are a variety of colleges and universities near the city that offer automotive technology programs.
One institution that offers a great program is:
Weber Institute of Applied Sciences and Technology. This school offers a two-year Automotive Technology Associate Degree program. This program prepares students for entry-level employment in the automotive industry and provides a foundation for continued education or specialized certification.
Are you looking to become a certified automotive technician? If so, the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification is your only option. Those who pass these rigorous exams receive recognition of their skill and knowledge from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence – proving that they have what it takes to be successful as an auto mechanic!
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- Engine machinist certification tests
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
- Light truck certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- School bus certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
Job Outlook and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in Stockton is expected to increase by 4% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Stockton earned an average annual wage of $49,000 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel specialists earned an annual wage of $59,380. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $37,610 and $58,900 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Stockton
|Mean Hourly Wage
|Mean Annual Salary
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Stockton
Working as an auto mechanic in Stockton is a great way to make a living while enjoying the California sunshine. With the right educational background and ASE certification, you can take advantage of the many career opportunities available in this city. With your dedication, ambition, and hard work, you could become one of Stockton’s most respected automotive technicians!
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Employment and Wages, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493023.htm
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm