Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Orlando
Orlando is home to many opportunities for budding Automotive Technicians or Mechanics. With a wide variety of automotive service centers, repair shops, and dealerships in the area providing employment, there are plenty of places to gain experience and training.
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Orlando
It is mandatory for all Orlando citizens who offer automotive upkeep and/or mechanics services to register as an Automotive Repair Dealer (ARD) according to the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). The license fee for this registration is $200 and it will need to be renewed on an annual basis.
Automotive programs may cover some of the following topics:
- Manual transmissions
- Braking systems
- Air conditioning
- Automatic transmissions
- Electrical systems
- Fuel systems
- Engine maintenance
- Computerized engine management systems
- Emissions control systems
Auto Mechanic Schools in Orlando
Those interested in attending an auto mechanic school in the Orlando area can find a variety of options. These automotive technology schools offer comprehensive and specialized training programs that prepare students for entry-level positions in automotive or diesel industries
- Universal Technical Institute. This school offers a variety of automotive technology degree programs, notably the BMW Fast Track program and Ford Accelerated Credential Training (FACT) in just 12 and 15 weeks respectively. They also provide an unparalleled General Motors Technician Career Program that can be completed in fifteen weeks! If you want to opt for specialized training initiatives with popular automobile names such as Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota Volvo and NASCAR among many others along with diesel classes.
- Mech Tech Institute. The Automotive Program at MTI takes 960 hours to complete and prepares students with the necessary knowledge and skills to inspect, maintain, and repair cars and light trucks. This institution also offers a Diesel Mechanics Program.
- Seminole State College. Offers an Associate Degree of Science in Automotive Technology that can be completed in 2 years. The curriculum covers advanced diagnostic techniques, engine repair and performance, heating and air conditioning systems, steering and suspension systems, along with general automotive maintenance and repairs.
Financial aid may be available to those who qualify; contact the financial office at the institute you are interested in for more information.
Are you looking to become a certified automotive technician? If so, the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification is your only option. Those who pass these rigorous exams receive recognition of their skill and knowledge from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence – proving that they have what it takes to be successful as an auto mechanic!
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- Engine machinist certification tests
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
- Light truck certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- School bus certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
Career Opportunities and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in Orlando is expected to increase by 9% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Orlando earned an average annual wage of $38,110 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel specialists earned an annual wage of $48,040. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $37,920 and $47,650 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Orlando
|Mean Hourly Wage
|Mean Annual Salary
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Orlando
Orlando is a great place for automotive technicians and mechanics to pursue a career in the automotive industry. With plenty of job openings, competitive salaries, and the opportunity to work with some of the most popular automobile brands in the world, it’s no wonder that so many people choose to make Orlando their permanent home! With an ample amount of educational opportunities available, auto mechanics in Orlando can always stay up to date on the latest automotive technology and repair techniques. If you’re ready to take your career as an automotive technician or mechanic to the next level, Orlando might be the perfect place for you!