Auto Mechanic and Automotive Schools in Reading
Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Reading
Automotive technicians and mechanics are always in demand in Reading, Pennsylvania. The city has a large population of drivers and car owners which Keeps the market for automotive technicians steady. To become an automotive technician or mechanic in Reading you need to have both technical knowledge as well as hands-on experience.
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Reading
In Reading, auto mechanics do not need to have a professional license. However, to work in an automotive repair shop or for a car dealership, you must have the proper certifications. To become certified, you may need to complete formal mechanic training at a trade school or technical college.
An automotive technology program may cover some of the following topics:
- Air conditioning systems
- Electrical systems
- Engine performance
- Manual drive train
- Auto maintenance
- Computerized engine control systems
Auto Mechanic Schools in Reading
While there are no automotive training schools located in Reading, there are several nearby. These schools may offer certificate, diploma and even associate’s degree programs. Depending on the program you choose, you may be able to gain hands-on experience in an automotive garage or a dealership.
Achieving an ASE certification from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence is a surefire way to boost automotive repair technicians’ value and esteem within their industry. This single test ensures that these professionals are well-versed in their field, making them extremely attractive to employers looking for quality hires. Passing this exam can be a major advantage when seeking employment opportunities or promotions within the auto repair sector!
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- School bus certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Light truck certification tests
- Engine machinist certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
Job Outlook and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in Reading is expected to increase by 1% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Reading earned an average annual wage of $47,080 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel specialists earned an annual wage of $48,320. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $38,280 and $47,030 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Reading
|Region||Total Employed||Mean Hourly Wage||Mean Annual Salary|
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Reading
Trained technicians and mechanics are always in high demand in a city like Reading, PA. With the right certification and hands-on experience you can find great employment opportunities. You should also remember that with the right training and certifications, you might be able to work for national car dealerships or large automotive repair shops around the country. Being an auto technician is certainly a great way to start a career in the automotive industry.
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Employment and Wages, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493023.htm
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm