Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in El Paso
With Texas being the second leading state when it comes to automotive jobs, El Paso is an ideal place for individuals interested in pursuing a career in auto mechanics. From service technicians and diesel mechanics to glass installers and repair workers, the opportunities are limitless!
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in El Paso
You do not need a license to work as an auto mechanic in El Paso.
To excel in the automotive industry, a thorough understanding of technical skills and knowledge is essential. Fortunately, these capabilities can be attained by completing an automotive technology program and gaining hands-on experience.
Automotive and diesel programs may cover some of the following topics:
- Fuel systems
- Engine maintenance
- Automotive electronics
- Engine repair
- Suspension systems
- Automatic transmission
- Automotive repair
- Engine performance
- Air conditioning
Auto Mechanic Schools in El Paso
El Paso has some excellent programs offering a comprehensive and in-depth education in automotive technology. Some of the schools include:
- El Paso Community College. Located in El Paso, Texas, El Paso Community College offers a variety of programs for aspiring automotive technicians. EPCC offers a two-year Associate of Applied Science Degree in automotive technology that provides students with the necessary skills to repair and diagnose vehicles. A one-year and two-year certificate program is also offered at this institution for those who wish to enter the automotive field immediately.
- Western Tech. Western Tech is an accredited school that specializes in training students to become automotive technicians. The program is designed to prepare students for a career as an entry-level technician. Their Automotive Technician program is Master level accredited by the ASE Education Foundation, a division of the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). A Master level accredited Diesel Mechanics program is also offered at this school.
Financial aid may be available to those who qualify; contact the financial office at the institute you are interested in for more information.
ASE certification is not required to become an automotive technician in El Paso. However, employers may prefer that their technicians have ASE certification and some may even provide additional training for those who do not have it. To become certified, you must pass a series of tests and meet the education requirements set forth by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
- Light truck certification tests
- Engine machinist certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- School bus certification tests
Job Opportunities and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in El Paso is expected to increase by 10% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in El Paso earned an average annual wage of $34,540 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists earned an annual wage of $37,300. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $35,350 and $37,910 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in El Paso
|Region||Total Employed||Mean Annual Wage||Mean Annual Salary|
|El Paso, TX||1,380||$18,34||$34,540|
Working as an Auto Mechanic in El Paso
El Paso is a great place to practice automotive technology, as it offers many opportunities for car enthusiasts. With the rise in population and the increasing demand for auto mechanics, El Paso is an ideal location for those interested in pursuing a career in this field.
Working as an auto mechanic can be a lucrative and rewarding career that provides job security, the opportunity to help people, and the satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference in keeping cars running smoothly. El Paso offers numerous automotive programs that provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed as an auto mechanic. Whether you choose to pursue certification or just learn the basics, having a career as an auto mechanic in El Paso can be a great way to start your journey.
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Employment and Wages, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493023.htm
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm