Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Massachusetts
A career in automotive mechanics or service technicians can be both personally and financially gratifying for anyone who enjoys repairing vehicles. By delving into the automotive field, one will find that the most popular areas of mechanic expertise are: auto mechanics and service technicians, auto collision repair and auto body workers, diesel mechanics and heavy truck/bus specialists, as well as auto glass installers and repairers.
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Massachusetts
Massachusetts auto mechanics do not need to obtain a professional license to work in the field, but they do need to complete an approved educational program from a vocational or trade school before being allowed to practice. Most employers also prefer that applicants have some kind of hands-on experience with cars as well as technical competence, either through internships or other automotive jobs prior to applying.
Those interested in an automotive technology program can expect to learn about some of the following topics:
- Engine performance
- Brake systems
- Air conditioning
- Manual drive train
- Climate control systems
- Automotive electricity and electrical systems
Automotive technology courses will also cover the fundamentals of automotive repair, including general service, troubleshooting and diagnosis. Additionally, students will gain an understanding of engine design and operation as well as learn about a variety of diagnostic tools used in modern automobiles.
Auto Mechanic Schools in Massachusetts
There are various auto mechanic programs available in Massachusetts. Here are some institutions offering auto mechanic degree and certificate programs:
- Massachusetts Bay Community College. MBCC offers four automotive technology training programs that focus on BMW, Chrysler, GM and Toyota/Lexus programs. Alternatively, MBCC also has an Automotive Technology Certification program which takes roughly a year to complete and focuses exclusively on Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
- Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology. BFIT gives its students a chance to earn an Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in automotive technology. It also partners with renowned car dealerships and manufacturers from the Boston area and beyond, such as:
Toyota Lexus Dealership
Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. Contact the financial office at the institute you are interested in for more information.
Automotive service excellence certification is not only beneficial but necessary if you ever want to break into the mechanics industry. There are ASE certification exams open to all interested individuals, which certify their skills and knowledge in the field.
An ASE certification is considered a standard for automotive service technicians and employers view it as proof of one’s competent work in the field.
Job Outlook and Salary Expectations
Over the next decade, Massachusetts is anticipating a growth in employment for auto mechanics. According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be a 7% increase in this field from 2020-2030.
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of May 2021 automotive service technicians in Massachusetts earned an average salary of $47,970 per year. Bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists made an average $60,270 per year while auto body and related repairers averaged $48,070 per year. Auto glass installers also brought in an annual mean salary of $37,920.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Massachusetts by Region
|Mean Hourly Wage
|Mean Annual Salary
|Barnstable Town, MA
|New Bedford, MA
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Massachusetts
Working as an automotive mechanic in Massachusetts can be a rewarding and lucrative career. With the proper education, training and certification you can find employment opportunities with dealerships, independent garages or automotive repair shops. The demand for qualified technicians is increasing so taking the steps to becoming ASE certified is highly recommended.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, OES, Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493023.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, OOH, Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, OES Massachusetts, Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ma.htm
- Projections Central, Texas, projectionscentral.com