Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Fort Lauderdale
Joining the automotive industry in Fort Lauderdale as a technician or mechanic is an exciting opportunity for anyone looking to expand their skillset and provide top-notch customer service. Automotive technicians specialize in inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing cars from all makes and models – giving them ample opportunities to hone their expertise!
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale residents offering automotive upkeep or mechanics services must be registered as an Automotive Repair Dealer with the Bureau of Automotive Repair for a fee of $200. This registration needs to be renewed annually in order to remain compliant with local laws and regulations.
In order to become a successful automotive technician or mechanic, individuals must possess considerable technical knowledge and skills. This can be obtained through completion of a formal automotive technology program and/or relevant work experience.
Auto Mechanic programs typically cover some of the following topics:
- Fuel systems
- Engine maintenance
- Computerized engine management systems
- Emissions control systems
- Manual transmissions
- Braking systems
- Suspension systems
- Automatic transmissions
- Electrical systems
- Engine performance
- Air conditioning
Auto Mechanic Schools in Fort Lauderdale
There are numerous automotive technology schools in Fort Lauderdale that offer a variety of programs to help individuals develop the knowledge and skills needed to work as an automotive technician or mechanic.
- Broward College. Located in Fort Lauderdale, offers an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Automotive Service Technology. This program takes two years to complete.
- Atlantic Technical College. Offers an Advanced Automotive Service Technology – Toyota T-TEN program which takes approximately 2 years to complete. ATC also offers programs in Automotive Collision Technology as well as a general Automotive Service Program.
- Miami Lakes Educational Center and Technical College. Located in Miami Lakes, Florida, offers a range of automotive repair and maintenance programs, this includes a 4-year automotive collision repair and refinishing program, as well as a 4-year automotive service technology program.
Financial aid may be available to those who qualify; contact the financial office at the institute you are interested in for more information.
If you’re looking to really stand out as an automotive technician, then ASE certification is your one-way ticket. These difficult exams are a surefire way of proving that you possess the necessary knowledge and earn recognition from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- Engine machinist certification tests
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
- Light truck certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- School bus certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
Career Opportunities and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in Fort Lauderdale is expected to increase by 9% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Fort Lauderdale earned an average annual wage of $46,410 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel specialists earned an annual wage of $51,140. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $38,210 and $46,680 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Fort Lauderdale
|Mean Hourly Wage
|Mean Annual Salary
|Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Fort Lauderdale
Working as an automotive technician or mechanic in Fort Lauderdale can be both rewarding and challenging. Although the requirements for becoming an automotive service tech may seem daunting, with hard work and dedication anyone can become a successful auto mechanic. Dedicating your time to learning the proper skills and taking advantage of the many training opportunities available will help make you a sought-after technician.