Becoming an Automotive Technician or Mechanic in Jacksonville
With the right qualifications and experience, you can quickly become a certified mechanic and start working in the field. To become a qualified technician in Jacksonville, you will need to complete an automotive technology program at one of the many technical schools or colleges that offer these programs.
Requirements for becoming an Automotive Service Technician in Jacksonville
For locals in Jacksonville who offer automotive repair or mechanic services, registering as an Automotive Repair Dealer with the Bureau of Automotive Repair is not only obligatory but also incredibly affordable – at just $200!This registration needs to be renewed annually in order to remain compliant with local laws and regulations.
For those who seek to achieve success in the automotive industry, they must possess an extensive amount of technical knowledge and skill. Fortunately, these can be easily acquired through completing a formal automotive technology program and accruing applicable work experience.
Auto Mechanic programs typically cover some of the following topics:
- Fuel systems
- Engine maintenance
- Brake systems
- Suspension systems
- Automatic transmissions
- Electrical systems
- Engine performance
- Air conditioning
Auto Mechanic Schools in Jacksonville
Jacksonville is home to a number of excellent technical schools that offer comprehensive auto mechanic programs. Some of the most notable ones include:
- J-Tech institute. is one of the most well-known automotive technology schools in Jacksonville. It offers a comprehensive program, with 14 modules covering everything from engine repair and brake systems to suspension and steering. This program also prepares students for ASE certification examinations.
- Florida State College at Jacksonville. offers a variety of automotive program options, ranging from certificates and associate’s degrees to bachelor’s and master’s programs. The college also provides support services such as financial aid, career guidance and industry partnerships.
Financial aid may be available to those who qualify; contact the financial office at the institute you are interested in for more information.
If you want to demonstrate that you are the top automotive technician, then ASE certification is your answer. These rigorous tests prove without a doubt that you possess the required expertise and will be recognized by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. With an ASE Certification in hand, there’s no limit to what you can achieve!
The ASE offers more than 40 certification exams. Listed below are a few of the most popular ones.
- Engine machinist certification tests
- Damage analysis and estimating certification test
- Collision repair and refinish certification tests
- Light truck certification tests
- Alternate fuels certification test
- School bus certification tests
- Truck equipment certification tests
- Light repair certification test
- Parts specialist certification tests
- Transit bus certification tests
Career Opportunities and Salary Expectations
Employment for automotive technicians and mechanics in Jacksonville is expected to increase by 9% from 2020 to 2030, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The BLS also reports that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Jacksonville earned an average annual wage of $38,250 as of May 2021, while bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists earned an annual wage of $47,940. Automotive glass installers and automotive body and related repairers earned annual salaries of $37,880 and $46,920 respectively.
Auto Mechanic Salaries in Jacksonville
|Region||Total Employed||Mean Hourly Wage||Mean Annual Salary|
Working as an Auto Mechanic in Jacksonville
If working as an automotive technician or mechanic in Jacksonville is the career you have been dreaming of, then the time to act is now. With the right training and certification, you can achieve success in this competitive field. Contact any of the aforementioned schools today to get started!